Friday, March 20, 2015

New Level of Adulthood

Many people don't realize I'm almost 30. Working at a university I am often mistaken as a student (I love this by the way). Until recently I felt like an "early 20s" girl. Around 22 or 23 I began attending friends' engagement parties and wedding showers and by 25 we were onto baby showers. It's definitely a sign of growing up. A few weeks ago I was asked to participate in a meal train for a neighbor having a double mastectomy. It wasn't until this that I realized how old I am now.

Being my first time to do this, I of course panicked and was unsure of the proper meal to deliver. I searched Pinterest for hours trying to come up with something. Everything I found was a casserole. I don't know about you, but I can only eat so many casseroles. I knew several neighbors and members from their church were participating and whatever I made had to be easy, tasty, and most importantly, unique. I went with a twist on a classic favorite...Green Chili Chicken and Dumplings! I was still slightly nervous because it can be spicy and I wasn't sure how my neighbors feel about spicy food, but I took the chance and I'm happy to report it was their favorite meal delivered. Yes, I'm bragging on myself, get over it.

Here's the recipe, it's great for cold days and is super easy. Sorry I didn't snap any pictures, but if I make it again soon I will come back and update this post.


Green Chili Chicken & DumplingsServes: 4-6

Ingredients:
1 cooked rotisserie chicken
1 can biscuits, uncooked
1 jar Cookwell & Company Texas 2-Step Green Chili Strew Mix
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups whipping cream

1. Pull the meat and skin from the chicken. Discard skin and bones. Set chicken aside.
2. Remove the biscuits from can and cut into bite-sized pieces, set aside.
3. Combine the chicken and all remaining ingredients, except biscuits, in a 4-quart pot over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring often, until the mixture begins to boil.
4. Drop the biscuit pieces into the boiling liquid. Cook, stirring every two minutes for a total of 8 minutes. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for an additional 5 minutes stirring occasionally.

Serve hot and enjoy!
Until next post...xoxo Becca


Green Chili Chicken & Dumplings
I purchase from HEB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I'd love to hear your thoughts! Dialogue is welcome, bullies are not.